Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you....Lucky

And wiser. And probably a little stronger.
Last year, while enjoying the oasis of my up north getaway, my dogs and I were attacked by a black bear. Yep, no joke, a black bear.
Walking a trail that I have walked almost twice a month for 3 years, the "it won't happen to you" happened to me.
On our regular adventure path, one traveled daily by ATVs and other hikers, we were meandering along when we heard a big stick crack out in the forest clearing. My Border Collie, Dora, in front of me perked up and looked out to where she heard the noise. My younger Chocolate Lab, Lexie, came bouncing down from the other side of the trail and also stopped to take a peek. Four steps later and I saw a black bear coming over to where we stood on the trail.
I immediately starting backing up and called for the dogs to come. Naturally, with curiosity and protection kicking in, both dogs held their ground and barked at the bear. The bear was un-phased and lunged at Lexie first, scratching her and biting her leg. Lexie made to retaliate but realized she was outmatched and came running down the trail behind me. I continued to yell at Dora to come in the hopes that enough space would stop the bear's advances.
Dora retreated backwards continuing to bark at the bear. Lexie, seeing the bear advance, backtracked towards safety. The bear, now locking in on me, decided to ignore Dora and make me the target.
I cannot tell you the plethora of thoughts going through my head. Everything from "Okay, this is when it will bluff and run." and then "Um, why isn't it turning around." and, of course the resigned, "Remember what you need to do, but don't run."
That last thought is the one I clung to. Having been around animals my whole life, I've learned that turning your back is a sure fire invitation for disaster and damage. And so a sense of calm understanding came and I stood my ground as the bear approached. I yelled and waved my arms. I made myself big. Still, the bear came. I could see that this bear had no intentions of turning around, so I yelled and screamed louder hoping to change its mind.
I watched the bear, knowing somehow that I needed to brace myself and stay on my feet. Head down and ears back, the bear came to me, gaining speed in a way that I have never seen, it stood on its feet in front of me and swatted with both paws in a big bear hug. It caught my arms and I was both awed and shocked by its strength. More importantly, I stayed on my feet and continued to back up slowly never taking my eyes off of the threat.
Dora was continuing to try and distract the bear from me, and when it motioned her way, I would take more steps back. It came anyway, and, again I was determined to stay on my feet. It ran up and swatted again and again and I moved to try and stay out of its reach. On the fifth attempt the bear caught my arm and plunged its heard toward my body. Imagining the worst I pushed its face away from my body and while retreating my hand, it grazed down my wrist and hand finally nipping off the end of my thumb. The sheer strength in its jaws made my stomach turn and now, covered in blood, I felt sure that this situation was only going to escalate. Apparently, so did Dora, and after 2 more swats and the bear ripping my pants, Dora bit the bear to goad it to chase her down the trail and take its attention from me.
Knowing this was my only chance, I turned into the bush since the trail was occupied and ran like I've never run before. I would probably have qualified for the Olympics in that run, wearing, of all things, a pair of orange crocs. I ran until I couldn't breathe and still kept going. I fell, I jumped, I went through a river bed, nothing was going to stop me. An eternity later but more likely mere minutes, I started to call for the dogs in hopes that they would find me. I imagined the worst and when Dora jumped over a hill beside me like an angel, I was partially relieved.
I finally got to the main cottage road and screamed for help, running to the nearest cottage with a car in the driveway. All the while - Lexie was no where to be found - and I was beside myself imagining she was dead. Over an hour later they found her hiding out and laboring her wounds a few cottages away and we were finally reunited. The rest of the story involves the hospital, the vet, a glued thumb and a sewn up pet, lots of chats with Ministry people and incredible friends that I am forever indebted to.
Lucky? Absolutely. Wiser? 100%
Will I walk in the woods again? Of course, (after a little time) I will not let this experience cripple me.
What have I learned?
I've learned that you always need to expect the unexpected, and while you believe it will never happen to you, it might. Be prepared, it can only help.
I've learned how many different reactions there are to an incident like this. Tears, anger, fear, and a whole host of other emotional responses. People assumed I wanted the bear dead, people wanted me to be angry with the bear and can't comprehend that I'm not. While I'm lucky to be alive and have minor injuries, I cannot fault a bear for being a bear. Clearly it was afraid and defending itself in the same way we all would as animals. That taught me that those I interact with daily, are very likely not reacting to things the same way I do, and I need to remember that in any dealings whether it be work or personal.
I've learned that when faced with conflict, keep your wits about you and measure the situation based on who your interacting with. That will result in the best outcome, if its a bear or a person acting like a bear.
I've learned that I am stronger than I ever imagined and that this will stay with me until the end of my days and remind me of how precious life and family is to me.
I've learned that crocs are not ideal footwear for running from a bear, and a tank top and exercise pants are easy to shred.
I've learned that my gut, which has served me well all my life is the most dependable thing. In the future I will probably listen to it more often.

More importantly, I've learned that adopting a dog to save its life is the most worthy investment, because you never know when their unconditional loving souls will pay back the favor.

I wrote this without the use of my injured right thumb, taking a much longer time, and it didn't matter because there were two wonderful animals, both alive, at my feet.

Comments